Christmas bread pudding with raisins and warm brandy sauce
■ Camille Johnson, Golden Era Productions / Contributed
Golden Era Productions held their Christmas party for their vendors, professionals, suppliers, and actors earlier this month at their golf course. They have shared with the community the famous Christmas Bread Pudding that was made in their big kitchen. It has received rave reviews by those who attended, so here is a full recipe for readers to have since Christmas is near and many more can also enjoy this delicious dessert.
Ingredients for the pudding:
1-2 loaves of crusty artisan white bread
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup raisins
Ingredients for the sauce:
½ cup butter
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup heavy cream
1/8 cup brandy
1/8 cup whiskey
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cut the bread into 1 inch slices, then cut the strips into cubes. You will need 8-10 cups of cubes.
3. Make the custard mixture by whisking the eggs, milk and heavy cream together, then adding vanilla and sugar and stirring to combine.
4. Melt ¼ cup of the butter and whisk it into the mixture.
5. Use the other ¼ cup butter to grease a baking dish.
6. Add bread cubes to the buttered baking dish.
7. Pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes.
8. Distribute the raisins over the top of the whole thing.
9. Bake for 1 hour.
10. Make the sauce by combining butter, sugar, cream, brandy and whiskey in a pan over medium heat.
11. While whisking constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, then remove pan from heat.
12. When the bread pudding comes out of the oven, drizzle a bit of the sauce over it while still warm.
13. Serve the rest of the sauce warm in a pitcher or gravy boat.
Camille Johnson is the Food Services Manager at Golden Era Productions.