Community Memories of the Valley admin January 27, 2017 Hemet Area Museum AssociationCol. L.L. Koontz, formerly commanding officer of Riverside March Airfield and a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, retired to Hemet with his wife after World War II. Soon after moving to Hemet, Colonel and Mrs. Koontz donated a 160-by-200-foot lot for the Elks Lodge No. 1740. In February 1948, the Elks held a party to celebrate the groundbreaking for its $30,000 new clubhouse. Source: “Images of America – Hemet” Hemet Area Museum AssociationThe building housed a beautiful interior with a huge fireplace, was located on the south side of Florida Avenue between Elk and Lyon streets and remains there today. Source: “Images of America – Hemet” Reprinted with permission from “Images of America – Hemet,” Arcadia Publishing. This book may be purchased at the Hemet Museum and online at www.arcadiapublishing.com.