■ Metro Service
According to JATO Dynamics, a leader in automotive business intelligence solutions, global vehicle sales in 52 markets studied by JATO totaled 21.24 million units in the first quarter of 2017. That figure marks a 962,000 unit increase from the first quarter of 2016. Sport utility vehicles drove that growth, as consumers continued to embrace SUVs for their versatility and reliability. While this list represents only the first quarter of 2017, the following were the 10 best-selling vehicles over that period.
1. Ford F-Series: The only pickup truck to crack the top 10, the F-Series reigned supreme in the first quarter of 2017, with total sales increasing by 10 percent from the same period in 2016.
2. Toyota Corolla: The Corolla continues to sell units 51 years after its introduction, even though its total global sales in the first quarter of 2017 marked a slight decrease from the same period a year earlier.
3. Nissan X-Trail/Rogue: First quarter global sales of this popular mid-size crossover increased by 23 percent from the first quarter of 2016.
4. Volkswagen Golf: While sales of the Golf actually dipped in the first quarter of 2017 compared to the same timeframe a year prior, the popular compact car was still just one of four vehicles to break the 200,000 units sold barrier during that time.
5. Honda Civic: First introduced in 1972, the Civic sold more than 178,000 units in the first quarter of 2017.
6. Honda CR-V: A 15 percent increase from the first quarter a year prior made this popular compact SUV one of the 10 best-selling cars in the world in the early part of 2017.
7. Wuling Hong Guang: Produced in China, this multipurpose vehicle sold more than 175,000 units in the first quarter of 2017.
8. Volkswagen Tiguan: No vehicle experienced a larger percentage increase than the Tiguan, which sold 47.9 percent more units during the first quarter of 2017 than it did during the same period in 2016.
9. Toyota RAV4: This popular crossover SUV continued to attract drivers across the globe, with sales increasing 10 percent from the first quarter of 2016.
10. Honda HR-V: This crossover SUV experienced a 3.6 percent increase in sales from the first quarter of 2016.