PUBLIC SAFETY BRIEFS – November 30, 2017

Thanksgiving Day assault at San Jacinto Walmart

A couple was assaulted with a baseball bat near the sporting goods section at the San Jacinto Walmart Supercenter at about 1 p.m. on Nov. 23 by an allegedly homeless man. While no official details have been released, several witnesses stated that the suspect was allegedly stealing merchandise and the couple may have reprimanded the man. The suspect, who has not been identified, was tackled and held down on the ground by bystanders and employees until police arrived.
Both the man and the woman who were attacked were admitted to a trauma center for surgery. The alleged attacker was arrested. According to community reporter Melanie Lee, the woman was screaming in Spanish while her husband was attempting to block the blows with a bag of flour, which was strewn all over the floor and the victims.
The store was temporarily closed while police investigated.

Thanksgiving Day DUI in Hemet’s downtown

On Thanksgiving Day at around 6:30 p.m., a silver Dodge Dually truck heading southbound on Tahquitz Avenue collided with a parked vehicle and did not stop, according to community reporter Gary Rainwater.
The collision was captured on residential surveillance video. The driver continued westbound on Florida Avenue and attempted to make a southbound turn onto Palm Avenue when he went up the curb and disabled his vehicle. Multiple people followed him after the first collision on Tahquitz Avenue, and when the driver collided into the curb, bystanders pulled him out of the truck and held him on the ground until Hemet Police officers arrived. Police found an open container of beer in the vehicle and a bottle of hard liquor on the suspect’s person.
The suspect, who has not been identified, failed a field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of DUI.

Hemet man arrested after fighting with officers

Antonio Smith, a 34-year-old Hemet resident, was arrested after fighting with officers and leading them on a foot chase. Shortly after 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 21, Hemet Police officers responded to a call of trespassing in the 300 block of south Kirby Street. The officers located several subjects and noticed that one of them – Antonio Smith – had a large wrench in his hand. The officers asked Smith to drop the wrench so that they could continue their investigation; however, Smith allegedly refused, according to a news release by Lt. Eric Dickson of the Hemet Police Department.
The officers attempted to disarm Smith and Smith began to fight with them. During the ensuing struggle, officers were able to get the wrench away from Smith but he picked up a nearby brick and raised it up as a weapon. The officers deployed a stun gun and Smith fled, leading officers on a brief foot pursuit through a nearby neighborhood. Ultimately Smith was taken into custody in the 400 block of Carmel Way.
Smith was arrested on suspicion of obstructing an officer by using violence and trespassing and was taken to a local hospital for medical clearance. Smith was later transported to the Riverside County Jail. His bail was set at $10,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *