Casino play apparently more important to owner than pet’s health
■ Chronicle News Staff
A dog nearly died from heat exposure Saturday after being left behind in a car parked in the Soboba Casino parking lot, police reported.
Police finally had to break into the car and free the overheated pooch, who was clearly showing signs of distress, officers said. Officers acted only after Soboba Casino security made numerous attempts to locate the owner of the vehicle but were unable to find them, they said.
About an hour after the dog was freed and taken to a cooler location, the owner returned to the car. Police slapped the cuffs on the bewildered dog owner and took them to jail.
In California, it is illegal to leave a pet inside a motor vehicle when conditions endanger the health of the animal. The Hemet area was reported to have reached a high of over 100 degrees F. on Saturday, and temperatures inside a locked motor vehicle invariably exceeded those outside.
A friendly reminder from local police to local residents: Please do not leave your dog inside a locked vehicle, especially on a hot summer day!