HHS Broadcasting: behind the scenes

The Chronicle goes behind the scenes at the Hemet High Multimedia Department

Photos by Corey Evan
Josie Collier interviews a fellow student for the Thursday broadcast.

■ By Corey Evan / Reporter

Every public school student past and present remembers listening to the morning announcements: A teacher or a student reads the bulletin into the loudspeakers, while half the class tunes it out and chats with their peers. But when it’s on video, students pay more attention and it becomes memorable. This is why Hemet High School transmits its morning announcements to students every day on video.
The Valley Chronicle spent the morning of Thursday, Nov. 1 at the Hemet High School Broadcasting lab to learn more about what students learn as they keep their peers informed.
Multimedia teacher John Hill is in charge of the Broadcasting Class at Hemet High. But he didn’t start out in broadcasting: “I was a Business Education teacher that came to Hemet High School in fall of ‘80. As the years went by, the program was taken over by technology and I had to adapt with it. Broadcasting was an idea I had about five years ago to give students technical skills as well as a form of public speaking, investigating, and reporting student interests,” said Hill.

Senior Jordan Puckett anchors the Thursday broadcast.

“I studied it and watched a lot of Youtube instructional videos so I could bring it into the classroom. I knew it would be a great way to deliver news to our students once every classroom had internet/network connections and a way to display the daily bulletin. The administration also gave the third period classes a few extra minutes to allow for the video bulletin.”
The program films during first period in a studio space formerly used as a regular classroom. The class, made up of 18 students at most, is divided into three student news teams who rotate duties on a weekly basis. While one team is busy hosting the daily program, a second team records and edits the program for broadcast during third period, and a third team is gathering content to be edited in once the hosts take their microphones off.
The program makes use of a computer-based recording suite called TriCaster, which combined with with camera, switcher, and audio inputs emulates a studio production booth in the space of a single desk. Video content to be added in is produced in iMovie and Adobe Premiere.
There is even a soundproof booth students use to record voice overs for video content. It used to be Hill’s office. As Senior Malia Eller says, “Gotta respect his space! Basically, this is where we do sports updates, because it’s like more quiet and we have to do voice overs.” With others talking and working, sound isolation is vital!
Once the final product is finished and exported to the school’s server to be run during third period, Hill sends his fellow teachers an email detailing how long the day’s broadcast runs. The average Daily Bulletin program runs ten minutes, sometimes longer or shorter depending on what’s happening before, during and after school.
It may seem to some parents like just another class for students to simply fill holes in their schedules. However, Hill says it’s not that simple: “Students have to learn to be a team player. They also have to read aloud, use interview techniques, be creative and organized to come up with an idea and see it through to the final video product that will be seen by the student body and the world on the internet,” explained Hill.
“The class gives students self confidence to go out and meet people they otherwise would not meet or talk to. They also have to know how to capture footage, get it into the computer, manipulate and edit the footage, write up and record their story and produce interesting, informative and educational material for their peers.”
Regardless of its varying difficulty, the consensus among Hill’s students is that it’s their favorite class. HHS senior Tyler Richardson said, “It’s a fun class, for sure.”
Students interested in joining the Daily Bulletin team should watch the program for details in the spring, and until then maintain decent grades as the class requires a teacher endorsement to sign up.
Those interested in watching past episodes of the Hemet High Daily Bulletin only need to go to hemethigh.com and search ‘Daily Bulletin Video.’ The Bulletin is also available on YouTube.